No. 8 Maryland sends No. 5 Duke to first conference lossFeb 19, 2012 - 11:31 PM
The Terrapins (23-4, 10-4 ACC) have won two in a row and five of their last six. They got 17 points from Laurin Mincy and 12 from Lynetta Kizer to send Duke to its first conference loss of the season.
Elizabeth Williams scored 19 points for the Blue Devils (22-4, 13-1), who had won five straight entering Sunday. Chelsea Gray chipped in 16 points.
Duke had won 16 straight ACC games dating back to last season.
On Sunday, the Blue Devils led 17-5 after 10 minutes, but the Terrapins battled back to tie it at 24 on Kizer's layup late in the first half.
Duke held a 29-28 advantage at the break and was up 45-38 with 12 minutes to play. Alyssa Thomas followed with five straight points, draining a pair of foul shots and then a three-pointer to pull Maryland within two and trigger the close finish.
Hawkins' three-point play had the Terrapins on top, 61-59, with 43 seconds left but Gray answered on the other end with a layup. Hawkins then struck again, scoring the game-winner in close and Thomas blocked Haley Peters' last second shot to seal the result.
- DUKE: 61
Feb 19 4:58 PM
- DUKE: 29
Feb 19 3:47 PM
- DUKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 3:06 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4