Penn State routs Ohio State, earns at least share of Big Ten titleFeb 21, 2012 - 2:46 AM Penn State earned at least a share of the Big Ten title with an 84-66 dismantling of eighth-ranked Ohio State.
Mia Nickson and Maggie Lucas also contributed double-doubles for Penn State (22-5, 12-3 Big Ten), which had not won a regular-season conference title since 2004. Nickson contributed 18 points and 15 rebounds, while Lucas added 12 points and 10 boards for the Lady Lions.
Samantha Prahalis had 16 points and eight assists to pace Ohio State (23-4, 10-4), which could have taken the conference's top spot with a win. Tayler Hill and Kalpana Beach added 16 and 12 points, respectively, in defeat.
Penn State held a pair of three-point advantages over the opening four minutes of the game before reeling off a 13-4 run to jump out to a 22-13 lead with 12 minutes left in the half.
Beach scored the game's next four points on a jumper and a layup to bring Ohio State within five, but Penn State scored the next six points to take a double- digit lead, 28-17.
The Buckeyes responded with a 7-0 spurt to close the gap to four. However, Penn State ended the half with a 17-6 run and held a 45-30 advantage at the break.
Greene had 16 points and 10 rebounds in the first half to lead Penn State, while Prahalis recorded 10 points and five assists to pace Ohio State.
Penn State, which had dropped 13 of the last 14 meetings between these two teams, then cruised through the second half, leading by as many as 21 points en route to the easy win.
- OHIO STATE: 66
PENN STATE: 84
Feb 20 8:58 PM
- OHIO STATE: 30
PENN STATE: 45
Feb 20 7:48 PM
- OHIO STATE: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 20 7:09 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2