Duke clinches share of regular-season crownFeb 25, 2012 - 2:51 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Elizabeth Williams scored a game-high 19 points as No. 7 Duke claimed at least a share of the ACC regular-season title with a 74-64 win over No. 5 Miami-Florida at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Friday.
Chelsea Gray and Haley Peters netted 12 points apiece and Allison Vernerey chipped in 10 for the Blue Devils (23-4, 14-1 ACC), who were coming off their first conference loss of the season at Maryland, 63-61, on Sunday.
The win also clinched the No. 1 seed in the upcoming ACC Tournament for Duke.
Shenise Johnson led the scoring attack for the Hurricanes (24-4, 13-2 ACC) with 18 points and eight rebounds. Riquna Williams and Stefanie Yderstrom added 17 and 16 points, respectively, as Miami saw its 13-game win streak come to an end.
The Blue Devils used a 22-5 spurt over an eight-plus minute stretch in the first to take a 38-28 edge into the locker room.
Miami got as close as four after a Riquna Williams free throw with just over 14 minutes to play made it a 46-42 contest, but Duke would score six straight points, capped by back-to-back Haley Peters layups, to take a 67-53 lead with 5:41 left.
Miami would not go quietly, scoring the next 11, to pull within single- digits at 67-64 with 1:52 left on the clock.
Gray's layup stopped the streak and gave Duke its first bucket in four-plus minutes of action to make it a 69-64 game with 1:13 still to play.
Riquna Williams had two shots to cut into the lead, but came up empty on both and Gray knocked down two from the charity stripe to make it a seven-point game and close out the victory for Duke.
- MIAMI: 64
Feb 24 9:03 PM
- MIAMI: 28
Feb 24 7:47 PM
- MIAMI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 24 7:05 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28