Duke tops UNC to claim ACC regular-season crownFeb 26, 2012 - 10:52 PM Duke captured the regular-season ACC title with a 69-63 victory over North Carolina at Carmichael Arena on Sunday.
Chelsea Gray netted 12 points with seven assists and seven steals, while Elizabeth Williams scored 13 points and grabbed nine rebounds for Duke (24-4, 15-1 ACC).
The Blue Devils have won two straight and enter the ACC tournament as the No. 1 seed.
Chay Shegog paced the Tar Heels (19-10, 9-7) with 22 points and six rebounds and Brittany Roundtree added 17 for the Tar Heels, who have dropped two straight.
After trailing by double-digits for most of the second half, North Carolina reeled off a 9-2 run capped by a Shegog jumper to cut the deficit to 63-57.
The Tar Heels pulled within four, 67-63, when Krista Gross got her own rebound and finished a layup.
North Carolina then gained possession after a Shegog block but Tierra Ruffin- Pratt turned the ball over on the other end, forcing UNC to send Duke to the charity stripe.
Duke went just 2-of-6 from the free throw line down the stretch, but the Tar Heels could not take advantage as the Blue Devils held on for the victory.
Trailing 16-14 just over eight minutes in, Duke used a 13-2 spurt to help earn a 44-30 advantage at halftime.
- DUKE: 69
NORTH CAROLINA: 63
Feb 26 5:06 PM
- DUKE: 44
NORTH CAROLINA: 30
Feb 26 3:51 PM
- DUKE: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 26 3:15 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1