Notre Dame beats Huskies again, this time in ConnecticutFeb 28, 2012 - 4:45 AM Notre Dame lock up its first outright Big East regular season title with an emphatic 72-59 win over No. 4 Connecticut at XL Center.
The Fighting Irish (28-2, 15-1 Big East) forced 18 turnovers and had 25 second-chance points to upend UConn for the third straight time.
The Huskies (26-4, 13-3) have now dropped two in a row at home after having their 99-game home winning streak snapped by Saint John's on February 18.
Tiffany Hayes paced UConn with 22 points, while Stefanie Dolson netted 18 in the loss. The Huskies had not lost three Big East regular season games since the 2004-05 season.
The Irish, who led 38-35 at halftime, held the Huskies without a point over the final 7 1/2 minutes, finishing the game on a 9-0 run.
Diggins and Brittany Mallory made consecutive three-pointers during the flurry for a 69-59 advantage with five minutes left, and Notre Dame never looked back in posting a new school record with its 10th win over a ranked opponent.
Notre Dame will be the No. 1 seed in the Big East Tournament, while the Huskies will be seeded third.
- NOTRE DAME: 72
Feb 27 11:03 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 38
Feb 27 9:57 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 27 9:10 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2