No. 2 Stanford caps regular season with rout of CaliforniaMar 5, 2012 - 6:04 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Toni Kokenis poured in a game-high 23 points and pulled down six rebounds as No. 2 Stanford closed out its regular season docket with a convincing 86-61 win over California on Sunday.
Nnemkadi Ogwumike netted 22 points and grabbed nine rebounds, while Joslyn Tinkle added 16 points and Chiney Ogwumike contributed a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Stanford (28-1, 18-0 Pac-12) finished the season on a remarkable 25-game winning streak. The Cardinal also extended its winning streak in conference play to 75 straight games.
Gennifer Brandon paced the Golden Bears (22-8, 13-5) with 11 points and seven rebounds, while Eliza Pierre added 10 points and four rebounds. Layshia Clarendon and Reshanda Gray finished with nine points apiece for California, which had its four-game win streak snapped.
Both teams will now turn their attention to the Pac-12 Tournament, which gets under way on Wednesday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Stanford got out to a 21-11 lead midway though the opening 20 minutes and never looked back.
They led 43-24 at the break and California never got close in the second half.
Stanford shot 45 percent from the floor, while holding the Golden Bears to just 37 percent.
California was also done in by poor free throw shooting, as the Golden Bears made just 10-of-21 from the charity stripe.
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18