Huge second half lifts No. 4 Notre Dame over No. 7 DukeNov 27, 2011 - 5:06 AM Freeport, Bahamas (Sports Network) - Natalie Novosel's jumper as time expired gave No. 4 Notre Dame a 56-54 victory over No. 7 Duke in the Junkanoo Jam Freeport Division championship game.
Novosel finished with 15 points and Skylar Diggins scored a game-high 19 for Notre Dame (5-1), which trailed 36-20 at the half.
Elizabeth Williams paced Duke (4-1) with 16 points and 13 rebounds while Chelsea Gray scored 11 points for the Blue Devils.
After being held to just 23 percent shooting in the first half, Notre Dame came out on fire in the second.
Duke's Haley Peters opened the second half with a layup to extend the Blue Devils' lead to 38-20, but for the next 10 minutes it was all Notre Dame as the Irish ran off a 21-3 spurt to knot the game at 41 with 9:24 left in regulation.
Duke missed five shots and turned the ball over seven times in that span.
Neither team would lead by more than four points for the remainder of the game and Duke took a three-point lead into the final 1:35 of regulation.
Diggins then missed a three but got her own rebound, leading a missed trey by Kayla McBride and another by Diggins as Notre Dame kept getting offensive rebounds.
McBride was fouled and made 1-of-2 free throws to bring the Irish within 54-52 with 53 seconds to go.
A Diggins layup then tied the game and after Duke's Shay Selby failed to find the bottom of the net, Novosel banked a shot in from the foul line as the buzzer sounded to cap the comeback.
- NOTRE DAME: 56
Nov 26 10:08 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 20
Nov 26 8:56 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 26 8:06 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20