Delaware captures Colonial crownMar 11, 2012 - 8:26 PM Upper Marlboro, MD (Sports Network) - Elena Delle Donne scored 27 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, leading Delaware to a 59-43 victory over Drexel in the championship game of the Colonial Athletic Association.
Lauren Carra added 14 points for the Blue Hens (30-1), who lost last year's title game to James Madison. Delaware has won 20 straight games since its lone loss at Maryland in late December.
Hollie Mershon scored 16 points and Kamile Nacickaite added 11 for Drexel (18-13), which knocked off James Madison in the semifinals.
A three-pointer by Fiona Flanagan gave Drexel a 14-12 lead midway through the opening half, but the Blue Hens scored the next six points in a sluggish first half that ended with Delaware holding a 20-16 advantage.
The Blue Hens opened the second half with an 8-2 run to build a 10-point edge and Drexel got only as close as eight from there. A jumper by Delle Donne gave Delaware a 53-31 cushion with just over five minutes remaining and the Blue Hens cruised the rest of the way.
- DREXEL: 43
Mar 11 2:25 PM
- DREXEL: 16
Mar 11 1:11 PM
- DREXEL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 11 12:38 PM
- James Madison beats Drexel 60-46 to win CAA, earn NCAA berth Mar 12
- James Madison women win third straight CAA championship Mar 12
- Delaware basketball suspends three Jan 29
- Drexel, Dillon agree to terms on contract extension May 31
- Drexel downs Utah for WNIT title Apr 6
- Kentucky holds off the Delle Donne led Blue Hens Mar 30
- Delle Donne shines as Blue Hens head for uncharted territory Mar 26
- Delle Donne sets milestone, Blue Hens advance Mar 24
- No. 9 Maryland handles Delaware Dec 20
- Kansas capitalizes on second-round win against Blue Hens Mar 21
- Delaware routs Arkansas-Little Rock for first postseason win Mar 18