Gonzaga upsets sixth-seeded RutgersMar 18, 2012 - 12:50 AM Gonzaga Bulldogs upset the sixth-seeded Rutgers Scarlet Knights 86-73 in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at McCarthy Athletic Center.
Standish scored 23 points and Palmer netted 21 points for Gonzaga (27-5), while Kelly Bowen tallied a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Taelor Karr added 14 points for the Bulldogs.
For Rutgers (22-10), Erica Wheeler led all scorers with 28 points. Khadijah Rushdan recorded 16 points and 11 rebounds and Monique Oliver chipped in 12 points for the Scarlet Knights.
Gonzaga opened up a 38-23 halftime lead behind 43.8 percent field goal shooting in the first half. Rutgers struggled mightily in the opening stanza, committing more turnovers (12) than field goals made (9).
The Scarlet Knights' field goal shooting improved to 53.1 percent after the break, but the deficit was too large to overcome.
Gonzaga advances to the second round to face off against third-seeded Miami-Florida.
- GONZAGA: 86
Mar 17 6:24 PM
- GONZAGA: 38
Mar 17 5:06 PM
- GONZAGA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 4:15 PM
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State women over Rutgers 70-67 Feb 18
- Mitchell scores 22, No. 7 Ohio State beats Rutgers Jan 24
- No. 21 Michigan State women top Rutgers 59-48 after big run Jan 19
- Mitchell's 31 points leads No. 5 Ohio State over Rutgers Jan 10
- No. 13 Florida State women beat Rutgers 65-43 Dec 3
- Lady Vols capture thrilling OT win to advance Mar 28
- Huskies cruise past Rutgers to advance Mar 23
- Bulldogs bowl over Beavers in Spokane Region Mar 22
- Copper, Scaife lead Rutgers past Seton Hall Mar 21