Penn State tops UTEP to advanceMar 19, 2012 - 2:07 AM Baton Rouge, LA (Sports Network) - Maggie Lucas scored 23 points and Alex Bentley put in 21 to lead the fourth-seeded Penn State Lady Lions to a 85-77 win over the 13th-seeded Texas-El Paso Miners in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Pete Maravich Center.
Zhauqe Gray had 15 points and Nikki Greene scored 12 points and was a rebound short of a double-double for Penn State (25-6) which advances to face fifth-seeded LSU in the second round.
Gloria Brown had a double-double off the bench with 18 points and 10 rebounds while Kayla Thornton had a double-double of her own with 15 points and 12 rebounds for UTEP (29-4). Jenzel Nash had 13 points and Kelli Willingham chipped in 10 as well for the Miners who had 10 different players score.
The first half was tight and the game was deadlocked 39-39 at the half after UTEP connected on 16-of-31 shots from the floor with Penn State hitting on 14-of-37 and outscoring the Miners 15-9 from three point range.
Penn State led 48-45 five minutes into the second half but then rattled off an 11-0 run to take its largest lead of the game, 59-45 with 12:46 remaining. The Miners never got much closer as they shot just 33.3 percent in the second half.
Penn State forced 17 turnovers which the Lady Lions converted into 22 points. UTEP's bench outscored it's counterpart 47-10.
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 77
PENN STATE: 85
Mar 18 7:20 PM
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 39
PENN STATE: 39
Mar 18 5:57 PM
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 5:18 PM
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- No. 23 Michigan State women beat Penn State 71-55 Jan 7
- Williams has 30 and No. 24 USF women beat Penn State 101-79 Dec 6
- Graves helps No. 4 Tennessee survive Penn State 74-66 Nov 18
- Rutgers edges UTEP for Women's NIT crown Apr 5
- Ogwumike, Stanford dismiss PSU in regional semis Mar 30
- Lady Lions leap past Florida Mar 25
- Lady Lions survive Shockers in tourney opener Mar 23