Duke dominates Vandy, advances to round of 16Mar 21, 2012 - 4:19 AM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Haley Peters scored 25 points, leading all five starters in double figures, as the Duke Blue Devils posted a 96-80 win over Vanderbilt in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Memorial Gym.
Tricia Liston accounted for 23 points for second-seeded Duke (26-5), followed by Elizabeth Williams with 13 points and Shay Selby with 12 points and seven assists. Chelsea Gray responded with a double-double consisting of 12 points and a game-high 12 assists in the triumph as well.
Seventh-seeded Vanderbilt was paced by Christina Foggie who tallied a game-high 26 points, followed by Jasmine Lister and Elan Brown with 16 and 13 points, respectively. Stephanie Holzer registered a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
The Commodores led by a point just over five minutes into the first half, but the squad allowed Duke to knocked down a sizzling 67.6 percent from the floor in the period, the Blue Devils en route to a commanding 56-32 advantage at the break.
In the second half Duke continued to convert field goals at an impressive rate (63.0 percent), making it rather easy for the squad to cruise to the 16-point win.
The Blue Devils, now set to take on third-seeded St. John's in the round of 16, forced 18 turnovers and assisted on 28 of their 42 made baskets.
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Balcomb steps down as Vanderbilt women's basketball coach Apr 27
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Reed, Vanderbilt women roll to 74-59 victory over Ole Miss Mar 2
- Reed leads Vanderbilt women, upset No. 24 Missouri 56-52 Feb 28
- Vivians scores 21 in No. 16 Mississippi State's 66-61 win Feb 25