Duke cruises into Elite Eight with rout of St JohnsMar 25, 2012 - 5:31 AM Fresno, CA (Sports Network) - Shay Selby scored a game-high 18 points and handed out seven assists as the Duke Blue Devils bowled over St. Johns 74-47 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at the Save Mart Center.
Tricia Liston finished with 15 points while Chelsea Gray scored 13 and wreaked havoc on defense by collecting eight steals for the second-seeded Blue Devils (27-5) who advanced to the Regional Final where they will face top-seed Stanford.
Da'Shena Stevens scored 19 points and was the only player for St. Johns (24-10) with more than six points. Nadirah McKenith pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds for the Red Storm which was making its first ever appearance in the Sweet Sixteen.
St. Johns led 15-7 early in the first half Duke then took control and led 36-25 at the half after closing the period on an 11-0 run. The Blue Devils shot 54.2 percent in the first half while the Red Storm connected on just 40.7 percent of its field goals.
Duke came out of the locker room and pushed its lead to 20, 49-29 with 16:15 remaining after rattling off a 13-4 run to open the second half. The Blue Devils would never be in danger of losing the lead as they shot at a 53.3 percent clip over the last twenty minutes to just 29.0 percent by the Red Storm.
The Blue Devils forced 19 St. Johns turnovers, blocked five shots as a team and out rebounded the Red Storm by a 35-31 margin.
- ST. JOHN'S: 47
Mar 24 10:50 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 25
Mar 24 9:49 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 24 9:05 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women beat Creighton for trip to NCAA tourney Mar 8
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Harry Perretta wins 699th game as Villanova beats St. John's Feb 12
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11