Cal holds off UtahJan 5, 2013 - 4:04 AM Salt Lake City, UT (Sports Network) - Layshia Clarendon scored 18 points and Afure Jemerigbe added 13 as seventh-ranked California held off Utah, 55-50, in the Pac-12 opener for both teams Friday night.
The Golden Bears (11-1, 1-0 Pac-12), who are in the midst of their best start in program history, logged their 600th all-time win. Brittany Boyd scored 11 for California, which shot just 6-of-21 from the field in the second half.
California has a rough schedule in the upcoming days. The Golden Bears play at No. 20 Colorado on Sunday before hosting current No. 4 Stanford on Tuesday.
Michelle Plouffe scored 16 points for Utah (9-3, 0-1), which also received 11 points from both Taryn Wicijowski and Iwalani Rodrigues.
Cal built a 32-20 lead at the half and was ahead by as many as 13 in the second stanza until Utah closed within 47-43 with 2:34 left following a jumper from Plouffe.
Wicijowski sank a jumper in the waning moments to cut the margin to 53-50, but Jemerigbe sealed the outcome at the foul line.
- CALIFORNIA: 55
Jan 4 9:59 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 32
Jan 4 8:53 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 4 8:04 PM
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- Crozon, Rodriguez lead Utah women over Washington St 75-69 Feb 27
- Washington women roll past Utah 73-60 Feb 26
- No. 15 Stanford women defeat Utah 72-54 Feb 21
- Weisner leads No. 8 Oregon State women past Utah, Feb 14
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13
- Balance lifts No. 25 Stanford women over California 60-55 Feb 6
- Payton powers Oregon State past Utah 71-69 Feb 5
- McCall, No. 15 Stanford women pull away; beat Cal 53-46 Feb 3