Texas A&M edges Kentucky for first SEC titleMar 11, 2013 - 12:50 AM Duluth, GA (Sports Network) - Kelsey Bone registered a double-double with 18 points and 15 rebounds and shot 8-of-12 from the floor, as No. 19 Texas A&M won its first Southeastern Conference title, taking down seventh-ranked Kentucky, 75-67, on Sunday.
Bone, who was also named the Tournament MVP, added four assists and two blocks for the Aggies (24-9), who became the first Texas A&M team to win an SEC Conference Tournament, after the school made the jump from the Big 12 Conference this season. Texas A&M also received 15 points and eight rebounds from Kristi Bellock and 14 points from Courtney Walker in the victory.
A'dia Mathies scored a game-high 19 points to go along with seven rebounds for the Wildcats (27-5), who was making its third SEC title game appearance in the last four years had a four-game winning streak come to an end. Jennifer O'Neil had 17 in the defeat.
Kentucky held a 36-34 edge after 20 minutes of play, but the Aggies outscored the Wildcats 19-10 to start the second half. Bone's layup with 8 1/2 minutes remaining made it 54-46.
Texas A&M increased its edge to nine points with 2 1/2 to play and was able to hold on for the win.
- TEXAS A&M: 75
Mar 10 8:07 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 34
Mar 10 6:53 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 10 6:11 PM
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20