Gamecocks trounce Jackrabbits, earn spot in second roundMar 24, 2013 - 12:34 AM Boulder, CO (Sports Network) - Ashley Bruner and Ieasia Walker each scored 15 points as the fourth-seeded South Carolina Gamecocks rolled into the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a 74-52 win over the 13th-seeded South Dakota State Jackrabbits at Coors Events Center.
Bruner also brought down 11 rebounds for her eighth double-double of the season for South Carolina (25-7) which will take on 12th-seed Kansas in the round of 32 after the Wildcats took out fifth-seeded Colorado, 67-52. The Gamecocks also got 13 points off the bench from Elem Ibian and 11 points from Tiffany Mitchell.
Ashley Eide finished with 15 points as the only double-figure scorer for South Dakota State (25-8).
At the end of the first half South Carolina led 44-26 after shooting a sizzling 60.7 percent from the field while forcing 10 turnovers from the Jackrabbits.
After the break the Gamecocks cooled to 33.3 percent shooting but it was enough to hold off the Jackrabbits who recorded just nine field goals on 32.1 percent shooting in the final 20 minutes.
In addition to their 40-28 edge on the boards, the Gamecocks also outscored the Jackrabbits, 42-22, in the paint. South Dakota State scored 25 points off turnovers in the losing effort.
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 52
SOUTH CAROLINA: 74
Mar 23 6:07 PM
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 26
SOUTH CAROLINA: 44
Mar 23 5:03 PM
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 0
SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 23 4:11 PM
- SEC women's basketball tourney returning to South Carolina May 16
- South Carolina, Dawn Staley looking to learn from setback Apr 27
- Staley: South Carolina reserve forward White to transfer Mar 31
- Gamecocks reserve G Kaydra Duckett leaving South Carolina Mar 30
- Staley wants South Carolina to remember NCAA Tournament loss Mar 28
- Syracuse women stun South Carolina 80-72 in regional semis Mar 25
- Syracuse-South Carolina Preview Mar 24
- Syracuse's press will be challenge for South Carolina women Mar 24
- Gamecocks' A'ja Wilson poised for run to top of women's game Mar 22
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- Mitchell powers South Carolina into Sweet 16 with 73-47 win Mar 20
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20