Boyd and Bears bounce Fresno StateMar 24, 2013 - 1:09 AM Lubbock, TX (Sports Network) - Brittany Boyd came up one assist shy of a triple-double as she helped guide the California Golden Bears to a 90-76 win over the Fresno State Bulldogs in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at United Spirit Arena.
Boyd finished with 21 points and 13 rebounds for the second-seeded Bears (29-3), one of five players to score in double figures for the squad. Gennifer Brandon logged a double-double of her own with 17 points and 12 boards, while Layshia Clarendon dropped in 19 points for a squad that will now take on South Florida in the next round after the Bulls slipped by Texas Tech, 71-70.
Talia Caldwell pitched in with 14 points, shooting a perfect 5-of-5 from the floor for the Bears, followed by Reshanda Gray with 12 points and six rebounds off the bench.
The 15th-seeded Bulldogs (24-9) were paced by Ki-Ki Moore who tallied a career-high 33 points on 12-of-28 shooting from the floor on the day. Rosie Moult and Taylor Thompson accounted for 15 and 11 points, respectively.
Shooting 8-of-16 behind the 3-point line in the first half, the Bulldogs managed to post a four-point edge in the period, but that didn't last long as California knocked down 56.8 percent from the floor overall in the frame in order to take a 48-41 lead at the break.
In the second half FSU fell off the pace in a big way, converting a total of just 10 field goals, en route to the double-digit setback.
In addition to limiting the Bulldogs to only 38.2 percent shooting from the floor on the day, the Bears also held a massive 51-28 advantage on the glass and outscored FSU in the paint by a 56-26 margin.
- FRESNO STATE: 76
Mar 23 6:16 PM
- FRESNO STATE: 41
Mar 23 5:06 PM
- FRESNO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 23 4:23 PM
- No. 22 Colorado State women win MWC title 55-54 Mar 11
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- No. 22 Colorado State women beat Fresno State 68-55 Mar 1
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13
- Balance lifts No. 25 Stanford women over California 60-55 Feb 6
- McCall, No. 15 Stanford women pull away; beat Cal 53-46 Feb 3
- Plum leads No. 25 Washington women past Cal 75-65 Jan 31
- Billings leads No. 20 UCLA women past California 75-56 Jan 23
- Hanson leads No. 12 Oregon State women past Cal 70-48 Jan 16