North Carolina survives scare from AlbanyMar 24, 2013 - 10:23 PM Newark, DE (Sports Network) - Tierra Ruffin-Pratt scored 30 points to carry the third-seed North Carolina Tar Heels to a tough, 59-54, win over the 14th- seed Albany Great Danes in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Bob Carpenter Center.
Waltiea Rolle nearly had a triple-double with 14 points, 14 rebounds and eight blocks for North Carolina (29-6) which will face sixth-seed and host Delaware in the round of 32.
Megan Craig put in 12 points off the bench and Lindsey Lowrie and Ebone Henry each chipped in 11 for Albany (27-4). Julie Forster had 13 rebounds but just six points on 2-of-10 shooting as well as six turnovers.
Neither team could find the touch offensively in the first half. Albany hit 30.4 percent from the floor and nailed 11-of-17 shots from the free-throw line to take a 28-23 lead into the break. North Carolina connected on just 26.9 percent of its first half shots.
Albany hit just 26.3 percent from the floor in the final 20 minutes but led, 48-46, with just under seven minutes remaining. Ruffin-Pratt nailed a 3-pointer with 6:35 left to pull the Tar Heels ahead and the Great Danes never retook the lead, committing three turnovers and going 2-of-11 from the field in the final minutes.
The Tar Heels blocked nine shots and collected 11 steals. Albany had a slim 44-43 edge on the boards,
- ALBANY: 54
NORTH CAROLINA: 59
Mar 24 4:44 PM
- ALBANY: 28
NORTH CAROLINA: 23
Mar 24 3:33 PM
- ALBANY: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 24 2:42 PM
- Albany women's coach Abrahamson-Henderson leaving for UCF Apr 1
- Sykes leads Orange to 2nd-round 76-59 win over Albany Mar 20
- Albany (NY)-Syracuse Preview Mar 19
- Albany upsets Florida 61-59 in 1st round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Albany (NY)-Florida Preview Mar 17
- Albany beats Maine 59-58 for 5th straight America East title Mar 11
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10