Seminoles advance behind strong defensive effortMar 25, 2013 - 1:15 AM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Leonor Rodriguez and Morgan Toles each netted 12 points as the eighth-seeded Florida State Seminoles took down the ninth-seeded Princeton Tigers, 60-44, in first-round action of the NCAA Tournament at the Ferrell Center.
Yashira Delgado came off the bench to score 11 points for FSU (23-9), which will play No. 1 seed Baylor in the second round on Tuesday.
Niveen Rasheed and Blake Dietrick led Princeton (22-7) with nine points apiece. The Tigers struggled from the field in the contest, shooting just 17- of-67 (.254) while committing 19 turnovers.
The Seminoles opened up a 31-19 lead at the half behind 50 percent field goal shooting. The Tigers made just seven buckets on 34 attempts in the opening 20 minutes (.206).
Princeton came charging back early in the second half with a 10-0 run to bring its deficit to just one, 38-37, midway through the frame, but FSU regained control with a 12-0 spurt of its own and it never looked back from there.
The Seminoles have won 10 consecutive first-round games in the NCAA Tournament.
- PRINCETON: 44
FLORIDA STATE: 60
Mar 24 6:57 PM
- PRINCETON: 19
FLORIDA STATE: 31
Mar 24 5:53 PM
- PRINCETON: 0
FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 24 5:11 PM
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Middle Tennessee-Florida St. Preview Mar 18
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17