Penn State dismisses Cal Poly in first roundMar 25, 2013 - 1:46 AM Baton Rouge, LA (Sports Network) - Maggie Lucas paced four teammates in double figures with 19 points as the third-seeded Penn State Lady Lions downed the 14th-seeded Cal Poly Mustangs, 85-55, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Maravich Center.
Alex Bentley scored 18 points for PSU (26-5), which advances to play LSU in the second round on Tuesday. Mia Nickson finished with 13 points and 13 rebounds, her third double-double in six career NCAA Tournament games. Nikki Greene made all five of her field goal attempts en route to 11 points, and Talia East hauled in 12 boards off the bench.
For Cal Poly (21-11), Molly Schlemer led all scorers with 24 points on 11- of-19 from the field, while Jonae Ervin put up 10 points.
The teams played each other tight for most of the first half until PSU ripped off an 11-0 run late in the frame and eventually took a 38-28 lead into intermission.
The Lady Lions shot a modest 44.7 percent from the floor in the second half but made 10-of-14 from the foul line as their lead ballooned down the stretch.
Cal Poly shot a lowly 27.9 percent from the field in the contest and lost the rebounding battle, 52-40.
- CAL POLY-SAN LUIS OBISPO: 55
PENN STATE: 85
Mar 24 7:13 PM
- CAL POLY-SAN LUIS OBISPO: 28
PENN STATE: 38
Mar 24 6:07 PM
- CAL POLY-SAN LUIS OBISPO: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 24 5:17 PM
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- No. 23 Michigan State women beat Penn State 71-55 Jan 7
- No. 11 Oregon State women swarm Cal Poly 80-43 Dec 21
- Williams has 30 and No. 24 USF women beat Penn State 101-79 Dec 6
- No. 21 California women use 3-pointers to top Cal Poly 82-57 Nov 22
- Graves helps No. 4 Tennessee survive Penn State 74-66 Nov 18
- Ogwumike, Stanford dismiss PSU in regional semis Mar 30
- Lady Lions leap past Florida Mar 25