Sooners sail by UCLA in second round of NCAA TournamentMar 26, 2013 - 2:07 AM Oklahoma dismissed third-seeded UCLA, 85-72, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at St. John Arena.
Aaryn Ellenberg scored a game-high 27 points, shooting 6-of-13 behind the 3- point line for the Sooners (24-10), followed by Sharane Campbell and Nicole Griffin with 19 and 10 points, respectively.
The Bruins (26-8) were paced by Atonye Nyingifa who recorded 18 points and eight rebounds, while Markel Walker filled out her stat line with 14 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, but she also turned the ball over eight times before fouling out. Jasmine Dixon responded with 13 points and eight rebounds, followed by Alyssia Brewer and Thea Lemberger with 10 points apiece.
Tied at 20-20 at the 10:19 mark of the first half, Oklahoma put together a 9-0 run and then carried a 42-37 advantage into the break. Both teams shot just under 40 percent from the floor through the first 20 minutes of action.
In the second half the Sooners feasted at the free-throw line, 20-of-30, in order to pull off the double-digit win.
The Sooners now head to the regional semifinals later this week in Oklahoma City where they will contend against Tennessee after the Volunteers defeated Creighton, 68-52, on Monday.
- OKLAHOMA: 85
Mar 25 9:27 PM
- OKLAHOMA: 42
Mar 25 8:06 PM
- OKLAHOMA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 25 7:17 PM
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Jordin Canada leads UCLA into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- South Florida-UCLA Preview Mar 20
- Guards highlight UCLA-South Florida in NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- Fields leads UCLA past Hawaii in NCAA Tournament Mar 19
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18