Kansas pulls of second round upset of the Lady GamecocksMar 26, 2013 - 4:23 AM Kansas Jayhawks punched their ticket to the Sweet 16 with a 75-69 victory over the fourth-seeded South Carolina Lady Gamecocks in the second round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at the Coors Events Center.
Angel Goodrich added 20 points and eight assist for Kansas (20-13), which advances to take on the winner of Tuesday's Notre Dame and Iowa matchup in the Sweet 16. Chelsea Gardner made a solid contribution on the glass with 12 rebounds in the victory.
South Carolina (25-8) was denied its 26th win despite a trio of double- doubles. Ashley Bruner posted 16 points and 12 rebounds, Aleighsa Welch had 16 points and 11 boards and Elem Ibiam contributed 12 points to go along with 10 rebounds. Ieasia Walker also had 11 points for the Lady Gamecocks.
The Jayhawks took a 42-41 lead into the break after they hit on 51.4 percent of their field goal tries including 4-of-7 from beyond the arc in the opening 20 minutes. South Carolina trailed at the break despite outscoring Kansas, 7-2, at the free-throw line in the first half.
Goodrich scored 15 points in the second half and Kansas held the Lady Gamecocks to 26.8 percent shooting from the floor to extend their lead and pull off its second upset in a row.
Deep shooting played a big role as Kansas went 5-of-10 from beyond the arc and South Carolina managed to sink just 2-of-8 from 3-point range.
- KANSAS: 75
SOUTH CAROLINA: 69
Mar 25 11:34 PM
- KANSAS: 42
SOUTH CAROLINA: 41
Mar 25 10:18 PM
- KANSAS: 0
SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 25 9:39 PM
- SEC women's basketball tourney returning to South Carolina May 16
- South Carolina, Dawn Staley looking to learn from setback Apr 27
- Staley: South Carolina reserve forward White to transfer Mar 31
- Gamecocks reserve G Kaydra Duckett leaving South Carolina Mar 30
- Staley wants South Carolina to remember NCAA Tournament loss Mar 28
- Syracuse women stun South Carolina 80-72 in regional semis Mar 25
- Syracuse-South Carolina Preview Mar 24
- Syracuse's press will be challenge for South Carolina women Mar 24
- Gamecocks' A'ja Wilson poised for run to top of women's game Mar 22
- Mitchell powers South Carolina into Sweet 16 with 73-47 win Mar 20
- Kansas St.-South Carolina Preview Mar 19
- Top seeded South Carolina led by dominating duo in NCAA play Mar 19