Mathies bounces back as Kentucky thumps DaytonMar 27, 2013 - 2:38 AM Queens, NY (Sports Network) - A'dia Mathies scored a career-high 34 points as the second-seed Kentucky Wildcats defeated the seventh-seed Dayton Flyers, 84-70, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Carnesecca Arena.
The effort for Mathies, the SEC Player of the Year, came after she had just five points in the first round against Navy. Kentucky (29-5) also got 14 points from DeNesha Stallworth and 11 points apiece from Jennifer O'Neill and Bria Goss. The Wildcats will take on All-American Elena Delle Donne and the Delaware Blue Hens in the Sweet 16.
Andrea Hoover had 22 points to pace Dayton (28-3). Cassie Sant added 13 points, Samantha Mackay tallied 12 and Ally Malott chipped in 10.
Despite shooting 52.4 percent from the floor in the first half Dayton still trailed 40-31, at halftime. Kentucky was able to earn that lead as it had 16 more field goals attempts and shot 45.9 percent on those chances.
After the break the Wildcats continued their solid shooting, hitting 48.4 percent from the floor while the Flyers fell off the pace and shot just 38.5 percent.
Kentucky forced 23 turnovers in the winning effort. Dayton outscored the Wildcats, 24-12, from the free-throw line.
- DAYTON: 70
Mar 26 9:18 PM
- DAYTON: 31
Mar 26 8:05 PM
- DAYTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 26 7:16 PM
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky thrashes UNC Asheville 85-31 in NCAA opener Mar 19
- UNC Asheville-Kentucky Preview Mar 18