Duke puts the clamps on Nebraska to become EliteMar 31, 2013 - 8:42 PM Norfolk, VA (Sports Network) - Tricia Liston scored 17 points to lift the second-seeded Duke Blue Devils to a 53-45 win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers in the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA Women's Tournament.
Alexis Jones added 14 points, nine rebounds and six assists for the Blue Devils (33-2), who will take on Notre Dame in the regional final. Elizabeth Williams made her mark as well with 10 points, nine boards and seven blocks.
Lindsey Moore paced Nebraska (25-9) with 11 points and six assists, but none of her teammates joined her in double-figures.
Duke took a 23-18 lead into halftime after it hit on 31.1 percent of its field goal tries. The Cornhuskers went 2-of-13 from beyond the arc and committed eight turnovers in the opening 20 minutes.
The Blue Devils continued to play well defensively in the second stanza as they held Nebraska below 40 percent efficiency from the floor including a 1- of-11 clip from 3-point range and they also converted 7-of-9 attempts at the free-throw line to extend their lead.
Nebraska finished the contest 20-of-66 from the floor and 3-of-24 from behind the 3-point line.
This was the first-ever meeting between these programs. Duke improved to 11-3 all-time in the NCAA regional semifinal round.
- NEBRASKA: 45
Mar 31 4:21 PM
- NEBRASKA: 18
Mar 31 3:11 PM
- NEBRASKA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 31 2:34 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- New Nebraska women's assistants will be paid $140,000 each Apr 25
- New Nebraska women's coach has fewer perks in contract Apr 19
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Building trust top priority for new Nebraska women's coach Apr 12
- Huskers act quickly to replace Yori, hire SD's Amy Williams Apr 11
- Nebraska's Natalie Romeo: 'Immature' players pushed out Yori Apr 9
- Huskers pay women's coach Connie Yori $1.2 million to leave Apr 7
- Nebraska coach Connie Yori resigns after 14 seasons Apr 5
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4