Drexel downs Utah for WNIT titleApr 6, 2013 - 10:06 PM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Hollie Mershon's layup with 21 seconds remaining proved to be the difference maker as Drexel held on to edge Utah, 46-43, on Saturday to earn the 2013 WNIT title.
Mershon, who finished with 14 points and eight rebounds, scored the critical basket to put the Dragons ahead by one and break a scoreless streak that lasted two-plus minutes as the contest came to a close.
Taylor Wootton scored 16 points and grabbed six boards for Drexel (28-10), which defeated Florida on Wednesday in the semifinals.
Iwalani Rodrigues paced Utah with 12 points and Michelle Plouffe added nine points and 14 rebounds for the Utes (23-14), who defeated Kansas State on Wednesday in overtime to advance.
Utah held a 24-21 lead at the break in a poor shooting effort from both squads. Drexel led by five with just over four minutes remaining before consecutive treys put Utah up 43-42 at the 3:07 mark.
The next basket, which was also the most important, didn't come until Mershon's lay-in with 21 ticks remaining. She also made two free throws with nine seconds left to secure the victory.
- UTAH: 43
Apr 6 4:39 PM
- UTAH: 24
Apr 6 3:37 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Apr 6 3:07 PM
- James Madison beats Drexel 60-46 to win CAA, earn NCAA berth Mar 12
- James Madison women win third straight CAA championship Mar 12
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- Crozon, Rodriguez lead Utah women over Washington St 75-69 Feb 27
- Washington women roll past Utah 73-60 Feb 26
- No. 15 Stanford women defeat Utah 72-54 Feb 21
- Weisner leads No. 8 Oregon State women past Utah, Feb 14
- Payton powers Oregon State past Utah 71-69 Feb 5
- Fields sparks No. 15 UCLA women past Utah 69-63 Jan 31
- No. 11 Oregon State women beat Utah 62-53 Jan 23
- No. 10 Arizona State holds off Utah for 12th straight win Jan 17
- Utah women beat No. 21 Cal 84-79 Jan 10