Taylor lifts No. 7 Louisville over TempleJan 2, 2014 - 12:20 AM Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - Asia Taylor led with 18 points and eight rebounds as the 7th-ranked Louisville Cardinals defeated the Temple Owls, 77-68, at McGonigle Hall.
Shoni Schimmel contributed 15 points, while Bria Smith and Sara Hammond scored 13 and 11 points, respectively. Tia Gibbs added nine points off the bench as the Cardinals (14-1, 2-0 AAC) won their seventh straight.
Natasha Thames had a game-high 24 points with nine rebounds to pace the Owls (7-5, 1-1). Monaye Merritt had 14 points, five assists, and four steals off the bench, while Erica Covile added 14 points in defeat.
Temple has now dropped two of its last three.
Schimmel's jumper at 2:59 helped propel a 9-2 run to end the first half.
Louisville continued their dominance early into the second half with a 9-0 run and did not allow the Owls to score until Covile made a layup 3:17 into the frame.
Tyonna Williams and Meghan Roxas made consecutive shots from beyond the arc for Temple in the final minute to cut the deficit down to 10 points, but the game was already too far out of reach.
- LOUISVILLE: 77
Jan 1 6:01 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 31
Jan 1 4:48 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 1 4:03 PM
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- Louisville tops Central Arkansas 87-60, Hines-Allen Mar 18
- Cent. Arkansas-Louisville Preview Mar 17
- NCAA games in Louisville match 4 teams on late-season rolls Mar 17
- Louisville coach writes to fans' bosses about skipping work Mar 16
- No. 17 Syracuse women beat No. 7 Louisville 80-75 in ACCs Mar 5
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- No. 10 Louisville women coast to 65-36 win over Pitt Feb 28
- No. 21 South Florida women top Temple 76-62 for 2nd in AAC Feb 27
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25