McCoughtry powers Louisville in Big East openerDec 15, 2006 - 3:41 AM LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (Ticker) -- Angel McCoughtry made sure the start of conference play did not signal an end to Louisville's unblemished record.
McCoughtry scored 25 points and pulled down 18 rebounds as the No. 14 Lady Cardinals posted a 67-62 victory over Cincinnati in the Big East Conference opener for both teams.
A sophomore forward, McCoughtry followed up a career-high 28-point effort in a 70-58 win over Western Kentucky on Saturday, sinking a pair of 3-pointers and converting 9-of-10 free throws. She also blocked four shots and collected three steals.
Trailing, 42-32, at the half, Louisville (10-0, 1-0 Big East) went to the free-throw line to get back in the game, making 12-of-16 after the break. It also turned up the defense, holding Cincinnati to 20 percent (7-of-35) shooting from the field.
Katie Olson had 12 points and seven rebounds and Yuliya Tokova added 10 and eight along with five blocks for the Lady Cardinals, who held a 53-44 advantage on the boards and blocked nine shots.
Shelly Bellman scored 16 points and Treasure Humphries 13 for the Bearcats (7-2, 0-1), who shot 32 percent (23-of-71) overall in failing to score at least 65 points for the first time this season.
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- Louisville tops Central Arkansas 87-60, Hines-Allen Mar 18
- Cent. Arkansas-Louisville Preview Mar 17
- NCAA games in Louisville match 4 teams on late-season rolls Mar 17
- Louisville coach writes to fans' bosses about skipping work Mar 16
- No. 17 Syracuse women beat No. 7 Louisville 80-75 in ACCs Mar 5
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- No. 10 Louisville women coast to 65-36 win over Pitt Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25
- Hines-Allen leads No. 11 Louisville women past BC 55-45 Feb 21