Spencer helps Tennessee topple TexasDec 17, 2006 - 9:15 PM AUSTIN, Texas (Ticker) -- Sidney Spencer helped Tennessee get another one back from Texas.
Spencer scored 15 points as the fifth-ranked Lady Volunteers shook off a slow start for a 67-46 victory over the No. 24 Longhorns.
Shooting 57 percent (27-of-63) in the second half, Tennessee (9-1) eventually ran away for its second straight win over Texas. The Longhorns (7-3), who were held to 31 percent (16-of-52) from the field, had won four straight meetings earlier.
Spencer went 3-of-4 on 3-pointers and Candace Parker had 12 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks.
Nicky Anosike scored eight points, grabbed eight boards and blocked a pair of shots for the Lady Vols, who led, 27-18, at the break after shooting 31 percent (11-of-35) over the opening 20 minutes.
Brittainey Raven was the lone player in double figures for Texas, scoring 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting.
Tiffany Jackson finished with eight points and eight rebounds for the Longhorns, who were outrebounded by a 48-30 margin.
In a matchup of the winningest coaches in women's college basketball, Tennessee's Pat Summitt collected win No. 922. Texas' Jody Conradt remained at 889.
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26