Chaney's strong shooting leads LSU over Michigan St.Dec 17, 2006 - 11:21 PM EAST LANSING, Michigan (Ticker) -- Quianna Chaney put an end to Michigan State's hope of revenge right from the start.
Chaney scored 24 points and Sylvia Fowles added 21 as seventh-ranked Louisiana State rolled to a 65-50 victory over Michigan State in a matchup of surging teams.
In a contest between teams from the 2005 Final Four, the Tigers (11-1) posted a 72-52 victory last season in Louisiana. The Spartans, who had been on a five-game winning streak, saw their chance for revenge disappear quickly as they fell behind, 17-6, in the opening 7:10.
Chaney, who finished 4-of-7 on 3-pointers, connected on three of her first four shots from the arc and scored 11 points in the quick start by LSU.
The lead eventually grew to 34-14 with 2:02 left in the first half, but Victoria Lucas-Perry completed a three-point play and hit a 3-pointer and Mia Johnson added a shot from the arc to cut Michigan State's deficit to 34-23 at intermission.
That little burst could not save the Spartans, as the Tigers started the second half with a 12-6 run. Chaney capped the spurt with her final 3-pointer, making it 46-29 with 15:15 to play.
Michigan State (7-2) got no closer than seven points thereafter.
Chaney shot 10-of-21 and handed out five assists and Fowles grabbed 14 rebounds and four steals for LSU, which won its sixth straight game.
Lucas-Perry scored 18 points and Allyssa DeHaan added 10 and 11 rebounds for the Spartans, who shot 32 percent (19-of-59) and committed 20 turnovers.
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27