Richard, Mississippi State open SEC play with upset winJan 7, 2007 - 11:07 PM FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas (Ticker) -- Marneshia Richard and Mississippi State opened Southeastern Conference play on the right foot.
Richard scored 23 points as Mississippi State rallied in its SEC opener for an 81-73 upset of 23rd-ranked Arkansas.
Richard also had four steals and shot 8-of-10 from the floor to pace four players in double figures.
Imesia Jackson scored 17 points, Miayorka Johnson added 11 off the bench and fellow reserve Alexis Rack scored 10 for the Lady Bulldogs (10-5, 1-0 SEC), who have won six straight games since losing at Purdue on December 16.
Trailing by six at halftime, Mississippi State outscored Arkansas, 47-33, after the break to rally for the win. The Lady Bulldogs owned a 45-32 advantage on the glass for the game and shot 46 percent (16-of-35) over the final 20 minutes.
Reserve Sarah Pfeifer scored 21 points for the Razorbacks (15-3, 0-2), who have dropped two consecutive games since their eight-game winning streak from December 1-30.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISSISSIPPI ST 34 47 81
ARKANSAS (23) 40 33 73 FINAL
Jan 7 4:56 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 34
ARKANSAS (23) 40 HALFTIME
Jan 7 3:55 PM
- UConn advances with record rout, beats Miss State 98-38 Mar 26
- Mississippi St.-UConn Preview Mar 26
- Mississippi State set to take on top-seed UConn Mar 26
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Mississippi State tops Chattanooga 60-50 Mar 18
- Chattanooga-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 3 South Carolina tops Mississippi St for 2nd SEC title Mar 6
- Vivians, No. 16 Mississippi State women top Tennessee 58-48 Mar 5
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4
- Tennessee women beat Arkansas 68-51 to bolster NCAA resume Mar 3