UConn halts LSU's 42-game home winning streakFeb 11, 2007 - 11:34 PM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Renee Montgomery and Connecticut slipped by Louisiana State by a foot.
Montgomery hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 6.7 seconds left and the fourth-ranked Huskies survived a last-second shot by the No. 7 Lady Tigers in a thrilling 72-71 victory.
With the win, Connecticut (22-2) halted LSU's 42-game home winning streak, which was the longest active in the nation.
Although the Huskies led by as many as nine points in the second half, the Lady Tigers knotted the score at 69-69 on a basket by Quianna Chaney with 20 seconds left.
Montgomery, who finished with 20 points, answered back with her fifth 3-pointer of the game.
Erica White raced back down the other end of the court and passed the ball to Porsha Phillips at the top of the key. The 6-2 freshman faked a drive before stepping back to knock down what looked like a 3-pointer as time expired.
However, with LSU players and fans alike thinking that the game had been extended, the referees confirmed that Phillips' foot had been on the line, sealing a one-point win for UConn.
Tina Charles had 17 points and nine rebounds and Kalana Greene scored 15 for the Huskies, who survived a dominant effort from the Lady Tigers' reserves en route to their eighth consecutive win.
LSU finished with a 23-2 advantage in bench points.
Sylvia Fowles finished with 22 points and 17 rebounds and Chaney scored 16 for the Lady Tigers (22-4), who absorbed their second loss in four games.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (4) 31 41 72
LSU (7) 37 34 71 FINAL
Feb 11 4:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
CONNECTICUT (4) 31
LSU (7) 37 HALFTIME
Feb 11 3:46 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2