Brown, Dickens help NC State edge second-ranked UNCFeb 17, 2007 - 4:13 AM RALEIGH, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Coach Kay Yow had several reasons to come away smiling.
Kiesha Brown scored 16 points and Marquetta Dickens added 15 and nine rebounds as North Carolina State posted a 72-65 triumph over No. 2 North Carolina in an Atlantic Coast Conference matchup.
Yow had missed 16 games earlier this season after discovering the cancer that surfaced during the 2004-05 campaign had progressed. But she returned to notch her 700th career win with a triumph over Florida State on February 5.
Prior to the start of the contest, Yow was honored as school officials renamed the court at Reynolds Coliseum after the Hall of Fame coach.
The Wolfpack (19-8, 8-4 ACC) wasted little time in taking control, outscoring their intrastate rival in the first half, 46-27, by shooting 54 percent (18-of-33) from the field.
Ashley Key scored 12 points and Sasha Reaves added 11 and eight rebounds for North Carolina State, which forced 20 turnovers and scored 13 fast-break points.
Erlana Larkins scored 16 points and LaToya Pringle had 15 and eight rebounds for the Tar Heels (25-2, 9-2), who shot 38 percent (25-of-65) and scored 22 points off 20 turnovers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA (2) 27 38 65
NC STATE 46 26 72 FINAL
Feb 16 9:07 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NORTH CAROLINA (2) 27
NC STATE 46 HALFTIME
Feb 16 7:54 PM
- No. 17 Syracuse beats NC State 80-61 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- NC State women beat Boston College 76-60 in ACC Tournament Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- No. 12 Florida State women hold off NC State 56-52 Feb 25
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- Cable scores 25, No. 3 Notre Dame defeats NC State 82-46 Feb 4
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 23 Louisville women rally past NC State 92-90 Jan 17
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10