Williams' heroics lifts Georgia Tech women over DePaulMar 18, 2007 - 5:55 AM MINNEAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Jacqua Williams made the winning shot with two seconds remaining to lift seventh-seeded Georgia Tech to a 55-54 victory over No. 10 DePaul in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament's Dallas Region.
The Yellow Jackets (21-11), who captured their first win in the NCAAs, next will face Purdue in Monday's second round.
Georgia Tech was trailing, 54-51, until Chioma Nnamaka's basket slice the deficit to a point with 26 seconds left. Williams then stole the ball from Blue Demon guard Jenna Rubino with 20 seconds to go.
After Jill Ingram missed a 3-point attempt, Nnamaka grabbed the offensive rebound and passed to Williams, who hit the decisive shot in the lane.
Nnamaka and Janie Mitchell each collected 14 points and 11 rebounds for Georgia Tech, which shot just 35 percent (23-of-65) from the field and 4-of-22 from behind the arc.
Williams had 10 points, six steals and three blocks for the Yellow Jackets, who have won seven of their last eight.
DePaul led, 38-35, at halftime, but shot a dismal 18 percent (5-of-28) after the break.
Allie Quigley scored 17 points and Rubino added 12 and seven rebounds for the Blue Demons, who committed 20 turnovers and shot 39 percent (20-of-51).
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB DALLAS REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DEPAUL (10) 38 16 54
GEORGIA TECH (7) 35 20 55 FINAL
Mar 17 10:16 PM
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (10) DEPAUL 38
(7) GEORGIA TECH 35 HALFTIME
Mar 17 9:06 PM
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27