Chaney carries LSU past Florida StateJan 4, 2008 - 2:54 AM TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Ticker) -- Quianna Chaney scored 27 points to help carry Louisiana State to a 73-61 victory over Florida State on Thursday night.
Chaney connected on 10-of-17 shots, including 5-of-9 from 3-point range, to help take the pressure off Sylvia Fowles, who was playing in her first contest since undergoing arthroscopic surgery on her left knee on December 21.
The 6-6 Fowles came off the bench to score 11 points in 22 minutes for the 11th-ranked Tigers, who received a boost from the defense with 25 points off 16 turnovers.
LSU (11-3) shot a blistering 54 percent (27-of-50) from the field en route to its third consecutive win.
Shante Williams poured in 20 points and Antionette Howard added 11 for Florida State (10-5), which shot just 35 percent (20-of-56) and was outscored, 30-20, in the paint.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LSU (11) 38 35 73
FLORIDA ST 26 35 61 FINAL
Jan 3 8:54 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(11) LSU 38
FLORIDA ST 26 HALFTIME
Jan 3 7:57 PM
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Middle Tennessee-Florida St. Preview Mar 18
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3