Duke continues domination of VirginiaFeb 24, 2008 - 11:39 PM DURHAM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Chante Black scored 22 points to power No. 11 Duke past Virginia, 78-70, on Sunday in Atlantic Coast Conference action on Sunday.
Wanisha Smith added 16 points for the Blue Devils (21-7, 10-3 ACC), who clinched the No. 3 seed in the conference tournament that starts in Greensboro on March 6 with their 14th straight win over the Cavaliers.
Duke, which held a 31-30 halftime lead, trailed by as many as nine points with 16:12 remaining but took advantage of a Virginia squad that committed four consecutive turnovers late in the second half, allowing the Blue Devils to pull away in the end.
Monica Wright led Virginia with 23 points and Aisha Mohammed added 18 and 14 rebounds for the Cavaliers (20-8, 8-4), who committed 22 turnovers for the contest.
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- No. 11 Louisville women pull away from Virginia 74-59 Feb 18
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- Thomas leads No. 15 Florida State women past Virginia 70-48 Jan 21
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17