Moeller's late 3-pointer lifts Ohio State over IllinoisJan 18, 2008 - 2:12 AM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Maria Moeller's 3-pointer - her only shot attempt of the game - with 14 seconds to play lifted No. 17 Ohio State to a thrilling 43-42 victory over Illinois in a Big 10 Conference contest on Thursday.
Jantel Lavender had 10 points and 12 rebounds for the Buckeyes (14-3, 5-1 Big 10), who trailed, 42-35, with just under five minutes left to play before a late rally.
Marscilla Packer made a 3-pointer with 1:19 remaining to cut the deficit to two, and the Buckeyes got back the ball after Chelsea Gordon missed for Illinois.
Moeller's shot also created the first lead of the second half for Ohio State, which trailed, 22-17, at intermission.
Jenna Smith had 16 points and nine rebounds for the Fighting Illini (11-6, 3-3), who shot 33 percent (18-of-54) from the field.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ILLINOIS 22 20 42
OHIO ST (17) 17 26 43 FINAL
Jan 17 8:37 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(17) OHIO ST 17 HALFTIME
Jan 17 7:40 PM
- Illinois women lose leading scorer Chatrice White Apr 15
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Illinois athletic director: Women's coach will be back Mar 23
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5