Wiggins, Stanford pound CaliforniaJan 27, 2008 - 1:31 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Candice Wiggins had 28 points as No. 7 Stanford used a strong first half en route to a decisive 72-52 victory over eighth-ranked California in a Pac-10 Conference contest on Saturday.
J.J. Hones had 12 points and Jayne Appel added nine points, 15 rebounds and seven assists for the Cardinal (17-3, 7-2 Pac-10), who held a 32-16 lead at the break.
California (17-3, 8-1) scored the first eight points of the second half to cut the deficit to eight but that would be the closest the Bears could get.
Stanford went on a 12-3 spurt to take a 47-29 lead and the Cardinal led by as many as 26 with 2:25 remaining.
Rama N'diaye and Alexis Gray-Lawson each had 12 points to lead the Bears, who shot just 31 percent (16-of-52) from the field.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CALIFORNIA (8) 16 36 52
STANFORD (7) 32 40 72 FINAL
Jan 26 6:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(8) CALIFORNIA 16
(7) STANFORD 32 HALFTIME
Jan 26 5:47 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18