Smith, Illinois knock off Ohio StateFeb 1, 2008 - 6:01 AM CHAMPAIGN, Illinois (Ticker) -- Jenna Smith had 20 points and 10 rebounds and Lori Bjork added 16 points as Illinois held on for a 68-64 victory over No. 17 Ohio State in Big Ten Conference action on Thursday.
The Fighting Illini (12-9, 4-6 Big Ten) jumped out to an 8-0 lead and led by as many as 14 in the first half before the Buckeyes cut the deficit to 35-34 at the break.
The contest was close throughout the second half but Bjork's 3-pointer with 5:54 left in the game gave Illinois the lead for good at 57-54. Marscilla Packer made a shot from the arc to pull Ohio State within 66-64 with 27 seconds to play but Bjork made two free throws to seal the victory.
Jantel Lavender had 19 points and eight rebounds and Packer finished with 17 for the Buckeyes (16-5, 7-3), who have lost two of three after a six-game winning streak.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OHIO ST (17) 34 30 64
ILLINOIS 35 33 68 FINAL
Jan 31 9:43 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(17) OHIO ST 34
ILLINOIS 35 HALFTIME
Jan 31 8:39 PM
- Illinois women lose leading scorer Chatrice White Apr 15
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Illinois athletic director: Women's coach will be back Mar 23
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5