Anosike's late free throws helps Tennessee edge RutgersFeb 12, 2008 - 3:22 AM KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Nicky Anosike converted two free throws with two-tenths of a second remaining as second-ranked Tennessee pulled out a 59-58 victory over No. 7 Rutgers on Monday.
In a rematch of last season's national championship game, the Lady Vols trailed 58-57 after Essence Carson hit a jumper with 23 seconds remaining.
After an initial miss, Candace Parker grabbed a rebound but could not make a putback. Anosike collected another offensive rebound and was pulled down from behind despite an issue with the time clock.
Although the clock appeared to stop at two-tenths of a second when Anosike grabbed the rebound, the officials decided to call a foul, allowing the senior forward-center a chance to win the game at the line.
She made both attempts en route to finishing with four points for Tennessee (22-1), which won its 12th straight game.
Playing for the first time since she bruised her knee in a win at Mississippi State on Thursday, Parker scored 27 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.
Epiphanny Prince scored 21 points and Carson added 18 for the Scarlet Knights (19-4).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
RUTGERS (7) 23 35 58
TENNESSEE (2) 34 25 59 FINAL
Feb 11 9:20 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(7) RUTGERS 23
(2) TENNESSEE 34 HALFTIME
Feb 11 7:55 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21