Eyeing top ranking, Connecticut routs PittsburghFeb 17, 2008 - 9:31 PM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Renee Montgomery led five players in double figures with 17 points as second-ranked Connecticut routed No. 18 Pittsburgh, 90-64, in a Big East Conference contest Sunday.
Tina Charles contributed 16 points and Maya Moore added 14 for the Huskies (24-1, 11-1 Big East), who posted their third straight win since suffering their only loss at Rutgers.
With top-ranked Tennessee losing to Louisiana State earlier this week, Connecticut likely will move back into the No. 1 ranking.
The Huskies dominated with their depth and superior strength inside, outscoring the Panthers, 52-14, in the paint. They also had a 31-11 edge in points off turnovers.
Mallorie Winn scored 16 points - the only player in double figures for slumping Pittsburgh (19-6, 9-3), which has dropped three straight and four of its last five.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (2) 43 47 90
PITTSBURGH (18) 29 35 64 FINAL
Feb 17 4:08 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(2) CONNECTICUT 43
(18) PITTSBURGH 29 HALFTIME
Feb 17 2:52 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2