Appel, Wiggins helps Stanford stave off CaliforniaFeb 24, 2008 - 12:08 AM BERKELEY, California (Ticker) -- Jayne Appel scored 13 of her 16 points in the second half to lead No. 7 Stanford to a 60-58 win over No. 8 California on Saturday in a Pac-10 Conference contest.
J.J. Hones scored 16 points for the Cardinal (25-3, 14-2 Pac-10), who withstood a late 10-0 run to snap a two-game skid.
Candice Wiggins, who missed 14 of her first 16 shots, stole the ball from Devanei Hampton and scored on an uncontested layup for a 58-56 lead with 2:47 remaining in the game.
Ashley Walker, who scored 17 points, made it 60-58 and the Bears (23-4, 14-2) misfired on four straight shots in the final minutes.
Hampton had 19 points for California, which had its five-game winning streak snapped.
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18