Hobbs, quick start helps Auburn hand Ohio State first lossNov 26, 2007 - 12:09 AM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Sherell Hobbs scored 21 points and Whitney Boddie added 20 as No. 25 Auburn continued its unbeaten start with a 67-58 victory over No. 16 Ohio State in the championship game of the Buckeye Classic on Sunday.
Hobbs, who finished 9-of-13 from the field, came up big early, scoring 14 first-half points as the Tigers (6-0) built up a 16-point advantage.
Although the Buckeyes closed within 63-55 with 3:56 remaining, Boddie grabbed a key offensive rebound and hit a layup to help stem the tide. She finished with 10 boards and handed out seven assists.
DeWanna Bonner chipped in 16 points for Auburn.
Jantel Lavender scored 22 points and grabbed 17 rebounds for Ohio State (5-1), which missed all 10 of its 3-point attempts.
- BUCKEYE CLASSIC
NCAA WOMENS BB BUCKEYE CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
AUBURN (25) 38 29 67
OHIO ST (16) 26 32 58 FINAL
Nov 25 2:46 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17