Clausen, Panthers beat Cardinals in battle of also-ransDec 20, 2010 - 12:36 AM
Clausen, the 48th pick in this year's draft out of Notre Dame, went 13-for-19 with 141 yards and a touchdown pass to help the Panthers (2-12) snap a seven- game losing streak. Jonathan Stewart ran for 137 yards on 27 carries, while Jeff King caught the touchdown pass.
"It feels great to come into the locker room after a game like this," said Clausen. "It's a good win for us and hopefully it's something that we can build on. Everything seemed to click pretty well for us today."
John Skelton threw for 196 yards on 17-of-33 passing with an interception as the Cardinals (4-10) failed to build on last week's 43-13 dismantling of Denver and lost for the eighth time in nine games. Steven Breaston scored the lone Arizona touchdown when he recovered a Tim Hightower fumble in the end zone late in the game.
"It was a disappointing loss for us," said Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt. "We didn't play well early and made too many mistakes to dig ourselves back from. We didn't make plays out there."
Stewart's 35-yard run on Carolina's first play from scrimmage set up Kasay's 28-yard field goal 4 1/2 minutes in.
After an Arizona punt, which saw Carolina pinned at its own nine-yard line, the Panthers went 80 yards in 14 plays, but again had to settle for three points on Kasay's 29-yard boot for a 6-0 lead in the final moments of the first quarter.
Skelton was picked off by Sherrod Martin deep in Arizona territory, and the next play saw Clausen hit King on a 16-yard score for a 13-0 lead with 8:42 left in the half.
Jay Feely hit a 23-yard field goal with just 36 seconds left in the first half to get Arizona on the board.
Arizona attempted an onsides kick to start the second half, but it didn't work and Carolina used the short field to take a 16-3 lead on a 24-yard field goal from Kasay.
Kasay connected on his fourth field goal of the game from 43 yards out with 27 seconds left in the third quarter for a 19-3 lead.
Arizona finally got in the end zone with a seven-play, 74-yard drive that saw Breaston jump on a fumble by Hightower in the end zone. The two-point conversion failed and it was a 19-9 game with 5:41 to play.
Feely's 30-yard field goal in the final minute made it a one-score contest, but Carolina recovered the onsides kick and ran out the clock.
Carolina controlled the ball for almost 37 minutes...Carolina has taken seven straight against Arizona...Carolina, which finished the home portion of its season 2-6, plays its final two games on the road with next weeks contest in Pittsburgh on Thursday...Arizona plays at home against Dallas on Christmas Day...Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald finished the game with nine catches for 125 yards. He went over 600 catches and 8,000 yards for his career.
- ARIZONA: 12
Dec 19 3:50 PM
- Arizona Field Goal - 30-yarder by Jay Feely.
Cardinals 12, Panthers 19 4th - 0:54Dec 19 3:45 PM
- Arizona Touchdown - Tim Hightower rushed to the Carolina 4 for 6 yards. Tim Hightower fumble recovered by Steve Breaston in the end zone.
Cardinals 9, Panthers 19 4th - 5:41Dec 19 3:27 PM
- ARIZONA: 3
End of 3rd
Dec 19 3:08 PM
- Carolina Field Goal - 43-yarder by John Kasay.
Cardinals 3, Panthers 19 3rd - 0:27Dec 19 3:05 PM
- Carolina Field Goal - 24-yarder by John Kasay.
Cardinals 3, Panthers 16 3rd - 12:12Dec 19 2:39 PM
- ARIZONA: 3
Dec 19 2:21 PM
- Arizona Field Goal - 23-yarder by Jay Feely.
Cardinals 3, Panthers 13 2nd - 0:36Dec 19 2:19 PM
- John Kasay extra point is good.
Cardinals 0, Panthers 13 2nd - 8:42Dec 19 1:55 PM
- Carolina Touchdown - Jimmy Clausen pass to Jeff King for 16 yards.
Cardinals 0, Panthers 12 2nd - 8:42Dec 19 1:55 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
End of 1st
Dec 19 1:39 PM
- Carolina Field Goal - 29-yarder by John Kasay.
Cardinals 0, Panthers 6 1st - 0:17Dec 19 1:33 PM
- Carolina Field Goal - 28-yarder by John Kasay.
Cardinals 0, Panthers 3 1st - 10:23Dec 19 1:10 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 19 1:03 PM
- Falcons' Vic Beasley Jr. samples new dual role as OLB and DE May 23
- Jaguars' Fowler returns, ready for bigger role after injury May 23
- Panthers' Thompson cited in accident that injured ex-Duke QB May 23
- Ex-NFL player launching site to honor Joplin tornado victim May 20
- Palmer shrugs off 'big game' failure, expects big season May 17
- Panthers release CB Brandon Boykin; sign 5 tryout players May 16
- Ravens sign cornerback Jerraud Powers to 1-year contract May 13
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Panthers sign DT Vernon Butler; all 5 picks under contract May 13
- Panthers sign CB Sanchez; DT Butler only draft pick unsigned May 12
- Roy Green to be inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor May 11
- Panthers owner Richardson to have another shoulder surgery May 11