Saints top struggling Jags for third straight winOct 2, 2011 - 9:39 PM
Brees completed 31-of-44 tosses and overcame two interceptions.
Darren Sproles gained 75 yards on seven carries and added five catches for 56 yards for New Orleans (3-1), which has won three games in a row following a loss at Green Bay in its season opener.
Rookie Blaine Gabbert, making his second career NFL start, finished with 196 yards on just 16-of-42 passing, one touchdown and one interception for the Jaguars (1-3), who suffered their third straight loss.
Jacksonville turned the ball over on downs at the New Orleans 38-yard line to begin the game.
The Saints needed nine plays from there to reach the end zone, and Jed Collins capped the drive by stretching across the goal line for a one-yard touchdown, the first of his career on his first carry.
New Orleans started its next series from its own four. The 12-play march bled into the second quarter and culminated in a one-yard TD reception by Jimmy Graham.
The Jaguars responded on the ensuing drive when Gabbert hooked up with Zach Miller for a 14-yard scoring strike.
Jacksonville linebacker Daryl Smith picked off Brees later in the frame and returned the ball to the New Orleans 13. Following three straight Gabbert incompletions, Josh Scobee kicked a 31-yard field goal to trim Jacksonville's deficit to 14-10 at halftime.
John Kasay, whose 53-yard field goal attempt in the first half sailed wide right, was good from 38 and 39 yards in the third quarter, increasing New Orleans' lead to 20-10. The second field goal came after Gabbert was picked off by Patrick Robinson.
Kasay booted his third field goal of the game, this time from 21 yards out, to put the visitors up 23-10 with 12:46 remaining in regulation.
Jacksonville moved the ball deep into enemy territory twice -- once on the heels of another Brees interception -- but the drives ended with Gabbert throwing incompletions on fourth down both times.
Brees has thrown a TD pass in 31 straight games, the third-longest streak in NFL history. He trails only Johnny Unitas (47) and Brett Favre (36)...The Jaguars suffered their first-ever loss in nine home games to a team from the NFC South...Graham caught 10 passes for 132 yards...Maurice Jones-Drew gained 84 yards on 11 carries for Jacksonville...The Saints had twice as many first downs (30) as the Jaguars.
- New Orleans Field Goal - 20-yarder by John Kasay.
Saints 23, Jaguars 10 4th - 12:46Oct 2 3:27 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 20
End of 3rd
Oct 2 3:21 PM
- New Orleans Field Goal - 39-yarder by John Kasay.
Saints 20, Jaguars 10 3rd - 4:11Oct 2 3:12 PM
- New Orleans Field Goal - 38-yarder by John Kasay.
Saints 17, Jaguars 10 3rd - 10:45Oct 2 2:54 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 14
Oct 2 2:32 PM
- Jacksonville Field Goal - 31-yarder by Josh Scobee.
Saints 14, Jaguars 10 2nd - 0:34Oct 2 2:26 PM
- Josh Scobee extra point is good.
Saints 14, Jaguars 7 2nd - 7:28Oct 2 1:56 PM
- Jacksonville Touchdown - Blaine Gabbert pass to Zach Miller for 14 yards.
Saints 14, Jaguars 6 2nd - 7:28Oct 2 1:56 PM
- John Kasay extra point is good.
Saints 14, Jaguars 0 2nd - 12:38Oct 2 1:44 PM
- New Orleans Touchdown - Drew Brees pass to Jimmy Graham for 1 yard.
Saints 13, Jaguars 0 2nd - 12:38Oct 2 1:44 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 7
End of 1st
Oct 2 1:38 PM
- John Kasay extra point is good.
Saints 7, Jaguars 0 1st - 7:59Oct 2 1:18 PM
- New Orleans Touchdown - Jed Collins rushed left for 1 yard.
Saints 6, Jaguars 0 1st - 7:59Oct 2 1:18 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 14:56
Oct 2 1:05 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 23
Oct 2 4:12 AM
- Saints add veteran receiver Brown, kicker Barth May 23
- Jaguars' Fowler returns, ready for bigger role after injury May 23
- Jaguars lose rookie DE Woodard to torn Achilles tendon May 23
- Jaguars 1st-round draft pick Ramsey signs rookie contract May 22
- Saints owner Tom Benson discusses why he disinherits kin May 20
- Hearing set for suspect in killing of former Saints star May 20
- The Latest: Brief hearing reveals little in Will Smith case May 20
- Jaguars rookie Jalen Ramsey tears meniscus during workouts May 19
- Saints sign 4th-round pick Onyemata to 4-year contract May 18
- Saints add cornerback Pruitt, cut kicker Scobee May 17
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16