Stephens-Howling lifts Arizona to OT win over DallasDec 5, 2011 - 2:03 AM
The past two weeks, the Cowboys relied on the leg of rookie kicker Dan Bailey to emerge with an overtime win at Washington and a last-second triumph over Miami on Thanksgiving.
He was in position for another game-winning kick after Dez Bryant's 15-yard reception on 3rd-and-11 gave Dallas a first down at the Arizona 31. With seven seconds left in the fourth quarter and the teams deadlocked at 13-13, Bailey drilled a 49-yard field goal. However, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett called a timeout. Bailey's second attempt fell short and sent the game to overtime.
"We felt the play clock was running down. Just wanted to make sure he had a real clean opportunity," Garrett said about calling the timeout.
Arizona got the ball to start the extra session and a returning Kevin Kolb hit Andre Roberts on a slant for a 14-yard gain on first down. Later, a defensive pass interference penalty placed the ball at the Arizona 34. After a three-yard run by Beanie Wells, Kolb, who missed the previous four games with a turf toe injury, threw a 16-yard pass to Roberts. A false start penalty moved the Cardinals back to their own 48, but Kolb completed a short toss to Stephens-Howling and he ran through the Cowboys defense all the way to the end zone.
Kolb finished with 247 yards on 16-of-25 passing for Arizona (5-7), which has won four of its last five games.
"Our defense really kept us in the game and then our offense woke up in the second half," said Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
Tony Romo completed 28-of-42 throws for 299 yards and one touchdown for the NFC East-leading Cowboys (7-5), who had their winning streak snapped at four games.
Dallas still sits one game ahead of the New York Giants in the division and faces them next Sunday.
Arizona started four of its first five drives between its own three and 13- yard lines. The lone time the Cardinals got the ball in good field position, it led to Jay Feely kicking a 48-yard field goal, which summed up the scoring in the opening 15 minutes.
Bailey, who missed from 53 yards earlier in the contest, connected from 50 yards away to draw Dallas even with 5:50 remaining in the second quarter.
Arizona's next possession ended with Dave Zastudil punting from his own end zone. Bryant returned the punt 14 yards to the Arizona 33 and finished the ensuing three-play drive with a five-yard touchdown catch on a slant to give his team a 10-3 lead with 3:09 left in the first half.
The Cardinals started the third quarter by marching to the Dallas one, where they lined up to go for it on 4th-and-goal. Arizona, though, opted for a 23- yard Feely field after a false start penalty. The 74-yard drive exceeded the number of yards the Cardinals accrued in the first half (49).
Dallas had just one offensive series in the third but it resulted in a 37-yard Bailey field goal.
Arizona's second drive of the second half bled into the fourth quarter, where Kolb hooked up with Roberts for a gain of 40 yards on the first play of the frame. Later, Roberts made a 22-yard grab on 3rd-and-3 from the Dallas 26, setting up Wells' game-tying touchdown run on the next play.
Eight of the Cowboys' 12 games this season have been decided by six points or less...The Cardinals have won seven of the last eight home matchups in the series...Romo and Kolb were both sacked five times...Roberts finished with 111 yards on six receptions...Wells rushed 20 times for 67 yards...Bailey had made 26 straight field goals before missing from 53 yards in the first quarter.
- DALLAS: 13
Final - OT
Dec 4 7:23 PM
- Arizona Touchdown - Kevin Kolb pass to LaRod Stephens-Howling for 52 yards.
Cowboys 13, Cardinals 19 OT - 11:43Dec 4 7:22 PM
- DALLAS: 13
End of Regulation
Dec 4 7:12 PM
- Jay Feely extra point is good.
Cowboys 13, Cardinals 13 4th - 13:08Dec 4 6:29 PM
- Arizona Touchdown - Beanie Wells up the middle for 4 yards.
Cowboys 13, Cardinals 12 4th - 13:08Dec 4 6:26 PM
- DALLAS: 13
End of 3rd
Dec 4 6:20 PM
- Dallas Field Goal - 37-yarder by Dan Bailey.
Cowboys 13, Cardinals 6 3rd - 0:34Dec 4 6:15 PM
- Arizona Field Goal - 23-yarder by Jay Feely.
Cowboys 10, Cardinals 6 3rd - 8:18Dec 4 6:00 PM
- DALLAS: 10
Dec 4 5:37 PM
- Dan Bailey extra point is good.
Cowboys 10, Cardinals 3 2nd - 3:09Dec 4 5:24 PM
- Dallas Touchdown - Tony Romo pass to Dez Bryant for 5 yards.
Cowboys 9, Cardinals 3 2nd - 3:09Dec 4 5:24 PM
- Dallas Field Goal - 50-yarder by Dan Bailey.
Cowboys 3, Cardinals 3 2nd - 5:50Dec 4 5:14 PM
- DALLAS: 0
End of 1st
Dec 4 4:50 PM
- Arizona Field Goal - 48-yarder by Jay Feely.
Cowboys 0, Cardinals 3 1st - 4:13Dec 4 4:41 PM
- DALLAS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 4 4:16 PM
- Jaguars' Fowler returns, ready for bigger role after injury May 23
- Dallas Cowboys sign injured linebacker Jaylon Smith May 20
- Cowboys sign 1st-round pick RB Elliott to $25M, 4-year deal May 18
- Palmer shrugs off 'big game' failure, expects big season May 17
- Ravens sign cornerback Jerraud Powers to 1-year contract May 13
- Seahawks' Lockette steps away after injury: 'Life goes on' May 12
- Wednesday Sports In Brief May 12
- Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette retiring May 11
- Roy Green to be inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor May 11
- Cardinals sign remaining 3 draft picks May 9
- Undrafted, Alabama's Coker takes his shot with Cardinals May 6
- Gathers trades high tops for cleats, takes shot with Cowboys May 6