Vick throws TD, Eagles shut down RavensAug 12, 2011 - 2:48 AM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Michael Vick capped his only drive with a touchdown pass to Brent Celek, and the Philadelphia Eagles kept the Baltimore Ravens out of the end zone en route to a 13-6 victory in the preseason opener for both teams.
Vick connected on 4-of-6 passes for 74 yards in limited action for the Eagles, who lost to the Packers in the NFC Wild Card round last year but added several big-name free agents in a lockout-affected offseason.
Joe Flacco played two series for the Ravens and finished with 60 yards on 3- of-6 throws, while rookie Tyrod Taylor was intercepted twice and threw incomplete on 4th-and-goal in the final minute.
Flacco, who took the Ravens to the AFC Divisional round last season, shook off a big hit from Cullen Jenkins on the game's first snap and brought Baltimore close enough for Billy Cundiff to attempt 53-yarder that bounced off the left upright and through the goal posts for a 3-0 lead.
Vick was playing without either of Philadelphia's top wide receivers. DeSean Jackson ended his training camp holdout earlier this week and was on the sideline in street clothes, while Jeremy Maclin returned to his hometown to undergo medical tests on an as-yet undiagnosed malady.
Nevertheless, the Eagles went 80 yards on their first touch. Riley Cooper's 42-yard catch highlighted the march, which Vick ended by firing a three-yard laser to Celek just past the goal line.
"It was good to get back and to get out there to have an opportunity to just play against another defense. We play against our defense every day in practice, they blitz us every day and we just wanted to play against somebody else," Vick said.
Most of the starters for the perennial playoff contenders did not play past the first quarter, allowing the backups to showcase their talents.
A Vince Young-led 15-play, 68-yard drive resulted in a 35-yard field goal by rookie Alex Henery five minutes into the second. Young, signed by Philadelphia just two weeks ago, threw just five passes and completed three for 45 yards.
Mike Kafka saw the majority of snaps in the second half for the Eagles and ended with 132 yards and an interception on 13-of-19 efficiency.
Henery and Cundiff exchanged field goals in the final 30 minutes to account for the final score.
Philadelphia's Chad Hall led all receivers with five catches for 82 yards, while Baltimore's Jalen Parmele topped all running backs with 35 yards on seven carries. Taylor also added 59 yards on the ground.
- BALTIMORE: 6
Aug 11 10:34 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore Field Goal - 34-yarder by Billy Cundiff.
Ravens 6, Eagles 13 4th - 3:10Aug 11 10:16 PM
- BALTIMORE: 3
End of 3rd
Aug 11 9:40 PM
- == Preseason == Philadelphia Field Goal - 24-yarder by Alex Henery.
Ravens 3, Eagles 13 3rd - 7:39Aug 11 9:24 PM
- BALTIMORE: 3
Aug 11 8:55 PM
- == Preseason == Philadelphia Field Goal - 35-yarder by Alex Henery.
Ravens 3, Eagles 10 2nd - 10:27Aug 11 8:21 PM
- BALTIMORE: 3
End of 1st
Aug 11 8:13 PM
- == Preseason == Philadelphia Touchdown - 3-yard pass from Michael Vick to Brent Celek. (Alex
Ravens 3, Eagles 7 1st - 7:58Aug 11 7:57 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore Field Goal - 53-yarder by Billy Cundiff.
Ravens 3, Eagles 0 1st - 11:53Aug 11 7:42 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 11 7:36 PM
- Former NFL player Tim Tebow writing book on 'life's storms' May 18
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Former Navy QB Reynolds gets OK to play in NFL this season May 13
- Carson Wentz kicks off his NFL career at rookie camp May 13
- Ravens sign cornerback Jerraud Powers to 1-year contract May 13
- QB Carson Wentz signs four-year contract with the Eagles May 12
- Eagles hire Joe Douglas, Andy Weidl to lead personnel staff May 12
- Bradford returns to Eagles, says he's committed to team May 9
- Chiefs wrap 3-day rookie minicamp with plenty of questions May 9
- Australians Edwards, Hackett take aim at Jets' punting job May 7
- Secretary of Navy backs Reynolds' NFL bid with Ravens May 5