Lions edge Browns in preseasonAug 20, 2011 - 3:17 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Matthew Stafford completed 6-of-10 passes for 85 yards and one touchdown and former Michigan State star Drew Stanton threw for 80 yards and two scores as the Detroit Lions topped the Cleveland Browns, 30-28, in the second preseason game for both squads.
Maurice Stovall caught four passes for 67 yards and one touchdown while Nate Burleson and Brandon Pettigrew added touchdown catches for the Lions.
Ian Johnson rushed seven times for 34 yards and Mike Bell ran 11 times for 33 yards for Detroit, which got two field goals from Jason Hanson, one from 49 yards out.
Colt McCoy looked sharp again for the Browns. The former Texas star completed 10-of-18 passes for 96 yards and three touchdowns, while backup Seneca Wallace took over in the second half and completed six throws for 40 yards.
Armond Smith ripped off an 81-yard touchdown run and Evan Moore led the Browns in receiving, catching three passes for 40 yards and two scores.
It was a seesaw battle through three quarters that left the Lions trailing 28-20 after three, but Stanton connected on a 20-yard touchdown pass to J.J. Finley to pull the Lions within a point, and Dave Rayner connected on a 48- yard field goal attempt with 9:51 remaining to give the Lions the victory.
- DETROIT: 30
Aug 19 10:55 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Field Goal - 48-yarder by Dave Rayner.
Lions 30, Browns 28 4th - 9:51Aug 19 10:28 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 20-yard pass from Drew Stanton to J.J. Finley. (Dave Ray
Lions 27, Browns 28 4th - 14:38Aug 19 10:15 PM
- DETROIT: 20
End of 3rd
Aug 19 10:09 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 7-yard pass from Drew Stanton to Maurice Stovall. (Dave
Lions 20, Browns 28 3rd - 5:37Aug 19 9:56 PM
- == Preseason == Cleveland Touchdown - 81-yard run by Armond Smith. (Phil Dawson kick).
Lions 13, Browns 28 3rd - 12:29Aug 19 9:39 PM
- DETROIT: 13
Aug 19 9:17 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Field Goal - 49-yarder by Jason Hanson.
Lions 13, Browns 21 2nd - 1:44Aug 19 9:10 PM
- == Preseason == Cleveland Touchdown - 13-yard pass from Colt McCoy to Greg Little. (Phil Daw
Lions 10, Browns 21 2nd - 4:45Aug 19 8:59 PM
- == Preseason == Cleveland Touchdown - 21-yard pass from Colt McCoy to Evan Moore. (Phil Daws
Lions 10, Browns 14 2nd - 14:01Aug 19 8:39 PM
- DETROIT: 10
End of 1st
Aug 19 8:27 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Field Goal - 25-yarder by Jason Hanson.
Lions 10, Browns 7 1st - 2:28Aug 19 8:18 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 4-yard pass from Matthew Stafford to Nate Burleson. (Jas
Lions 7, Browns 7 1st - 6:02Aug 19 8:04 PM
- == Preseason == Cleveland Touchdown - 2-yard pass from Colt McCoy to Evan Moore. (Phil Dawso
Lions 0, Browns 7 1st - 9:49Aug 19 7:54 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 19 7:41 PM
- Browns cut veteran WR Brian Hartline May 23
- Former Browns center Tom DeLeone dies at age 65 May 22
- QB Jake Rudock seems to be in good position with Lions May 19
- Browns' Haden sheds walking boot, eager for healthier season May 18
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Veteran DE Jason Jones signs with Dolphins May 16
- AP source: Jones in final stages of talks with Dolphins May 13
- Browns sign rookie wide receiver Corey Coleman, first pick May 13
- 'Believeland' film examines Cleveland's deep sports passion May 13
- Detroit's Killebrew was an aggressive athlete even as a kid May 12
- Lions rookie knew about team's woes from Alabama roommate May 10
- Ex-NFL player denies Ohio golf course assault charges May 10