Ravens top Redskins on late TDAug 26, 2011 - 4:00 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Rex Grossman and John Beck each threw for a score in the battle for the Washington starting quarterback job, but it was Brandon Jones' nine-yard TD catch with 22 seconds left in the game that lifted the Baltimore Ravens to a 34-31 preseason victory.
Tyrod Taylor led Baltimore's final drive and hit Jones on the left side. As he was being pushed out of bounds by Byron Westbrook, Jones reached the ball with his right hand and connected with the pylon. The play was first ruled on the field as down at the one, but was reversed upon replay.
Grossman and Beck each played two straight series, then switched off to the other competitor for a total of eight possessions before Kellen Clemens took over under center the rest of the way for the Redskins.
Grossman completed 8-of-15 passes for 112 yards, while Beck went 6-of-10 for 108 with an interception.
DeAngelo Hall intercepted Ravens starting QB Joe Flacco and rumbled 52 yards for the touchdown early in the first quarter. Flacco finished 17-of-27 for 219 yards with a pair of scores. Taylor entered after the first possession of the third quarter and went 11-of-18 for 125 yards through the air.
Ray Rice rushed 13 times for 72 yards and a second-quarter score for the Ravens, while the Redskins' Tim Hightower also scored during his nine-carry, 56-yard night.
Grossman played the first two possessions, resulting in no points.
It took Beck just three plays to get Washington's first offensive score, which came on a 37-yard run off right tackle from Hightower.
Grossman's final time with the ball ended in a score, a 24-yard toss to Santana Moss in the right side of the end zone, boosting the Redskins to a 21-14 lead with 51 seconds left before halftime.
Flacco's 12-yard TD pass to Anquan Boldin in the back of the end zone tied the game to cap an 80-yard drive in the third quarter.
Beck, who was picked off by Lardarius Webb on his first play of the third quarter, came right back and engineered a 97-yard march on his final time with the ball. He culminated the push with a 13-yard TD pass to Terrence Austin.
Baltimore's Billy Cundiff and Washington's Graham Gano then traded field goals before Cundiff's 33-yard boot with 6:11 left led up to the last-minute march.
The drive by the Ravens started at the Washington 35 thanks to a 38-yard punt return by rookie LaQuan Williams, who played college ball at Maryland.
- WASHINGTON: 31
Aug 25 11:27 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore Touchdown - 9-yard pass from Tyrod Taylor to Brandon Jones. (Billy
Washington 31, Ravens 34 4th - 0:22Aug 25 11:21 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore 33-yarder by Billy Cundiff.
Washington 31, Ravens 27 4th - 6:11Aug 25 10:58 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Field Goal - 48-yarder by Graham Gano.
Washington 31, Ravens 24 4th - 10:21Aug 25 10:47 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore Field Goal - 44-yarder by Billy Cundiff.
Washington 28, Ravens 24 4th - 14:10Aug 25 10:35 PM
- WASHINGTON: 28
End of 3rd
Aug 25 10:34 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 13-yard pass from John Beck to Terrance Austin. (Grah
Washington 28, Ravens 21 3rd - 1:54Aug 25 10:25 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore Touchdown -12-yard pass from Joe Flacco to Anquan Boldin. (Billy C
Washington 21, Ravens 21 3rd - 9:23Aug 25 10:04 PM
- WASHINGTON: 21
Aug 25 9:43 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 24-yard pass from Rex Grossman to Santana Moss. (Grah
Washington 21, Ravens 14 2nd - 0:51Aug 25 9:38 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore Touchdown - 35-yard pass from Joe Flaco to Lee Evans. (Billy Cundi
Washington 14, Ravens 14 2nd - 5:41Aug 25 9:15 PM
- == Preseason == Baltimore Touchdown - 3-yard run by Ray Rice. (Billy Cundiff kick).
Washington 14, Ravens 7 2nd - 12:09Aug 25 8:56 PM
- WASHINGTON: 14
End of 1st
Aug 25 8:48 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 37-yard run by Tim Hightower. (Graham Gano kick).
Washington 14, Ravens 0 1st - 3:35Aug 25 8:40 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 52-yard interception return by DeAngelo Hall. (Graham
Washington 7, Ravens 0 1st - 12:40Aug 25 8:14 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 25 8:08 PM
- Poll: 9 in 10 Native Americans not offended by Redskins name May 19
- Redskins' Cravens eager to learn how to be an NFL linebacker May 18
- Redskins release wide receiver Andre Roberts May 17
- Redskins CB Fuller forced to be patient after knee surgery May 14
- Former Navy QB Reynolds gets OK to play in NFL this season May 13
- Ravens sign cornerback Jerraud Powers to 1-year contract May 13
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Eagles hire Joe Douglas, Andy Weidl to lead personnel staff May 12
- Redskins sign 6 of 7 draft picks, including Josh Doctson May 9
- Australians Edwards, Hackett take aim at Jets' punting job May 7
- Secretary of Navy backs Reynolds' NFL bid with Ravens May 5
- Once thought fragile, Redskins TE Reed gets 5-year extension May 5