Lions complete unbeaten preseason with win over BillsSep 2, 2011 - 1:39 AM Orchard Park, NY (Sports Network) - Backup quarterback Shaun Hill completed four of his five passes for 34 yards and one touchdown to help the Detroit Lions down the Buffalo Bills, 16-6, and complete a perfect preseason.
Starter Matthew Stafford completed one pass, a 39-yard bomb to Calvin Johnson before leaving the game, and former Michigan State standout Drew Stanton completed three-of-seven passes for 37 yards.
Former Philadelphia Eagle and Cleveland Brown Jerome Harrison led the rushing attack for the Lions. The six-year veteran rushed seven times for 72 yards, including a 47-yard burst.
Kicker Jason Hanson converted three field goals for Detroit.
Tight end J.J. Finley caught two passes for 20 yards, while Maurice Stovall caught a 16-yard touchdown.
Tyler Thigpen completed 12-of-21 passes for 92 yards for the Bills and starter Ryan Fitzpatrick connected on two of his five throws.
Former Clemson star C.J. Spiller rushed twice for 29 yards, while Bruce Hall rushed four times for 25 yards and one score.
Craig Davis hauled in six passes for 38 yards, while Kamar Aiken added two catches for 37 yards.
Defensively for Buffalo, former Pro Bowl star Shawne Merriman recorded three tackles.
The Lions opened the scoring in the first quarter when Hill connected on a 16- yard touchdown pass to Stovall to cap a 7-play, 80-yard drive.
In the second quarter, Hanson knocked a 44-yard field goal attempt through the uprights to send the Lions into halftime with a 10-0 lead.
Hanson connected on his second field goal attempt late in the third quarter and his third midway through the fourth to push the advantage to 16-0.
The Bills finally got on the board when Hall bowled his way into the end zone from one yard out late in the final quarter to make it a 16-6 game.
The Lions will open their 2011 campaign with a road contest on September 11 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, while the Bills will open the season on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs.
- DETROIT: 16
Sep 1 9:25 PM
- == Preseason == Buffalo Touchdoen - 1-yard run by Bruce Hall. (pass failed).
Lions 16, Bills 6 4th - 4:05Sep 1 9:11 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Field Goal - 35-yarder by Jason Hanson.
Lions 16, Bills 0 4th - 8:14Sep 1 8:55 PM
- DETROIT: 13
End of 3rd
Sep 1 8:39 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Field Goal - 46-yarder by Jason Hanson.
Lions 13, Bills 0 3rd - 2:01Sep 1 8:31 PM
- DETROIT: 10
Sep 1 7:55 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Field Goal - 44-yarder by Jason Hanson.
Lions 10, Bills 0 2nd - 3:15Sep 1 7:39 PM
- DETROIT: 7
End of 1st
Sep 1 7:18 PM
- == Preseason == Detroit Touchdown - 16-yard pass from Shaun Hill to Maurice Stovall. (Jason
Lions 7, Bills 0 1st - 5:16Sep 1 7:01 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Sep 1 6:36 PM
- QB Jake Rudock seems to be in good position with Lions May 19
- Bills' Lawson to have shoulder surgery; Watkins' foot hurt May 17
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Veteran DE Jason Jones signs with Dolphins May 16
- AP source: Jones in final stages of talks with Dolphins May 13
- Buffalo Bills sign 5th-round draft pick, Jonathan Williams May 13
- Detroit's Killebrew was an aggressive athlete even as a kid May 12
- Buffalo Bills sign 6th-round draft pick, receiver Listenbee May 12
- Buffalo Bills to retire Bruce Smith's No. 78 at home opener May 11
- Buffalo Bills claim running back Dri Archer off waivers May 10
- Lions rookie knew about team's woes from Alabama roommate May 10
- Lions acquire Patriots LB Jon Bostic for conditional pick May 9