Indy beats Bengals in preseason finaleSep 2, 2011 - 3:55 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Taj Smith caught eight passes for 140 yards, including the go-ahead seven-yarder for a score from Dan Orlovsky with 1:08 left in the game, to boost the Colts to a 17-13 win over Cincinnati in the preseason finale.
Kerry Collins, who could be the starter under center when the season begins, completed 5-of-10 passes for 45 yards. He played into the second quarter before yielding to Orlovsky, who ended 10-of-18 for 178 yards.
"He did some things pretty well out there," Colts coach Jim Caldwell said of Collins. "He had some situations where he couldn't get the ball out, a sack, fumble and we had a drop (pass) out there. Other than that, in terms of our operation, I think he did OK."
Indianapolis hopes to have four-time MVP quarterback Peyton Manning back in time for the season opener, September 11 at Houston. Manning didn't play in the preseason as he continues to recover from surgery to correct a disc- related issue in his neck.
"All of that stuff will play out," Collins said. "Throughout the years, there have been so many circumstances where I've had to play at the drop of a hat if need be. No one really knows what's going to happen. I know that Peyton is working his tail off to get back in there. If I'm needed I'll be ready to go."
Manning, who has never missed a game in his 13 seasons in the league, signed a five-year, $90 million contract in July.
Andy Dalton played the first two series under center for the Bengals, who begin the 2011 campaign September 11 in Cleveland. Bruce Gradkowski connected on 14-of-17 passes for 90 yards.
Brian Leonard gained 57 yards on 11 carries in defeat.
After Orlovsky found Smith over the middle in the end zone, Dan LeFevour nearly led the Bengals to the game-winning score. However, Kevin Thomas came up with an interception at the 15 in the dying seconds.
- INDIANAPOLIS: 17
Sep 1 10:03 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Touchdown - 7-yard pass from Dan Orlovsky to Taj Smith. (Pat Mc
Colts 17, Bengals 13 4th - 1:08Sep 1 9:58 PM
- == Preseason == Cincinnati Field Goal - 24-yarder by Mike Nugent.
Colts 10, Bengals 13 4th - 6:19Sep 1 9:32 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Touchdown - 1-yard run by Darren Evans. (Pat McAfee kick).
Colts 10, Bengals 10 4th - 13:31Sep 1 9:19 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 3
End of 3rd
Sep 1 9:16 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 3
Sep 1 8:24 PM
- == Preseason == Cincinnati Touchdown - 1-yard run by Cedric Peerman. (Mike Nugent kick).
Colts 3, Bengals 10 2nd - 4:49Sep 1 8:05 PM
- == Preseason == Cincinnati Field Goal - 25-yarder by Mike Nugent.
Colts 3, Bengals 3 2nd - 13:43Sep 1 7:47 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 3
End of 1st
Sep 1 7:40 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Field Goal - 23-yarder by Adam Vinatieri.
Colts 3, Bengals 0 1st - 11:40Sep 1 7:13 PM
- INDIANAPOLIS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Sep 1 7:07 PM
- Ex-NFL player chosen to be next Pittsburgh schools head May 19
- Bengals have 2 draft picks left unsigned May 18
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Buffalo Bills sign 5th-round draft pick, Jonathan Williams May 13
- Jaguars sign former 1st-round draft pick Bjoern Werner May 11
- Burfict, Jones take Bengals-Steelers rivalry to soccer May 10
- Bengals sign 3rd-round LB Nick Vigil, leaving 3 picks signed May 10
- Colts give former college star Golson chance to shine May 8
- First-round pick Keanu Neal pleased to have contract signed May 6
- Bengals' top 2 picks were locked on each other in bowl game May 6
- Indianapolis Colts sign 4th-round pick Antonio Morrison May 6
- Colts sign 4 more draft picks on eve of rookie mini-camp May 5