Bears' Hughes runs over BrownsSep 2, 2011 - 3:08 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Robert Hughes tallied 69 rushing yards and a pair of touchdowns as Chicago topped Cleveland, 24-14, in the final preseason tuneup for both clubs at Soldier Field.
Caleb Hanie finished 7-of-10 for 83 yards and a TD pass to Johnny Knox for the Bears, who begin their regular season on September 11 by hosting Atlanta.
Knox ended with 33 yards on a pair of receptions, Dane Sanzenbacher added 50 yards on four grabs, while Nathan Enderle went 6-of-13 for 67 yards in a backup role.
Jarrett Brown totaled 92 yards, one score and an interception on 10-of-15 efficiency for the Browns, who also open up two Sundays from now at home against rival Cincinnati.
Armond Smith totaled 47 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries and Rod Windsor posted 55 yards and a TD reception on three catches.
A 22-yard Robbie Gould make plus Knox's 19-yard grab -- made in double coverage on a fine throw from Hanie -- staked the Bears to a 10-0 lead after one quarter.
Hughes rolled in from the two in the second period, before Smith's six-yard run to paydirt got Cleveland within 17-7 at the break.
Windsor's 38-yard reception from Brown pulled the visitors within a score, but Hughes capped the night with a one-yard scoring rush.
- CLEVELAND: 14
Sep 1 10:54 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Touchdown - 1-yard run by Robert Hughes. (Robbie Gould kick).
Browns 14, Bears 24 4th - 5:56Sep 1 10:34 PM
- == Preseason == Cleveland Touchdown - 38-yard pass from Jarrett Brown to Rod Windsor. (Phil
Browns 14, Bears 17 4th - 11:43Sep 1 10:22 PM
- CLEVELAND: 7
End of 3rd
Sep 1 10:06 PM
- CLEVELAND: 7
Sep 1 9:32 PM
- == Preseason == Cleveland Touchdown - 6-yard run by Armond Smith. (Phil Dawson kick).
Browns 7, Bears 17 2nd - 1:29Sep 1 9:23 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Touchdown - 2-yard run by Robert Hughes. (Robbie Gould kick).
Browns 0, Bears 17 2nd - 5:08Sep 1 9:09 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
End of 1st
Sep 1 8:42 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Touchdown - 19-yard pass from Caleb Hanie to Johnny Knox. (Robbie Go
Browns 0, Bears 10 1st - 1:47Sep 1 8:34 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Field Goal - 22-yarder by Robbie Gould.
Browns 0, Bears 3 1st - 7:24Sep 1 8:20 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Sep 1 8:07 PM
- Browns cut veteran WR Brian Hartline May 23
- Former Browns center Tom DeLeone dies at age 65 May 22
- Browns' Haden sheds walking boot, eager for healthier season May 18
- Veteran departures pave way for duo in Bears rookie camp May 13
- Browns sign rookie wide receiver Corey Coleman, first pick May 13
- 'Believeland' film examines Cleveland's deep sports passion May 13
- Eagles hire Joe Douglas, Andy Weidl to lead personnel staff May 12
- Ex-NFL player denies Ohio golf course assault charges May 10
- Lions acquire Patriots LB Jon Bostic for conditional pick May 9
- Cleveland Browns' player is Ohio teen's surprise prom date May 8
- Indianapolis Colts sign 4th-round pick Antonio Morrison May 6
- Police: Ex-NFL player assaults man on Ohio golf course May 6